Spring & Summer Terms (2023.3.27 Update)
Fall & Winter Terms (2023.3.27 Update)
Spring & Summer Terms (2023.3.27 Update)
Fall & Winter Terms (2023.3.27 Update)
*As Classroom and class hours may be subject to change, please check the KOAN notice board regularly for up-to-date information.
Timetable for Master’s Course at OSIPP in Academic Year 2023 (Coming Soon)0404-2022年度 博士前期課程開講科目表_ENGLISH-1
Timetable for Doctoral Course at OSIPP in Academic Year 2023 (Coming Soon)0404-2022年度 博士後期課程開講科目表_ENGLISH
Course Handbook(Japanese) *Coming Soon2022年度コースハンドブック-国際公共政策
2023 Academic Calendar
The academic year in Japan begins on April 1 and ends on March 31 of the following year, and is divided into four terms; Spring Term, Summer Term, Fall Term, and Winter Term. Below is the schedule for the 2023-24 year (Academic Year 2023).
The Spring Term is from April 1 to mid-June.
- April 5
- April 11
- May 1
University Foundation Day
The Summer Term is from mid-June to September 30.
- August 8
Last day of classes for Summer Term
- August 9 – September 30
The Fall Term is from October 1 to early December.
- October 2
- December 26 –January 3
The Winter Term is from late November to March 31.
- February 18
Last day of classes for Winter term
The specific starting and ending dates for all of the terms have a certain degree of flexibility to accommodate the needs of students and their particular study calendars. Students can consult with lecturers directly for information on this flexibility.
Read more about the full School Calendar on the main Osaka University website
This is an announcement regarding registration for the Spring and Summer Terms of 2023.
Please register your course on the web using the Student Affairs Information System KOAN and submit the Course Registration Check Sheet to the Educational Affairs Section through your supervisor by April 23.
*Please also send “Course Registration Confirmation Table” to your supervisor, too. See for KOAN Manual (p.7)
Courses offered by OSIPP : From April 1 to April 23
Courses offered by other graduate schools, etc. : From April 10 (15:00) to April 18 (until 13:00) ※first-come-first-served basis
Other University Courses (Include EUIJ) : ※By the deadline specified by each university (see the KOAN bulletin board)
Course Registration for Spring and Summer 2023
Steps for course registration through KOAN
- After consulting with your supervisor/sub-supervisor, please complete course registration through KOAN（https://koan.osaka-u.ac.jp） regarding Fall and Winter Terms/Semester courses.
*The KOAN system is available outside of the campus, too.
- Please submit the completed ‘Course Registration Check Sheet’ to the OSIPP Educational Affairs Section through your supervisor via email by April 23 through your supervisor. Students who have decided not to take any courses are also required to submit the Sheet.
- Please follow the above registration deadline strictly. After the deadline, you cannot add nor delete the courses you registered. Due to a high volume of registration transactions before the deadline, you may experience a slow system response. To avoid it, please register as early as you can.
- Regarding required credits for graduation, please check the Course Handbook (only in Japanese). Master’s students are required to check the “Requirements or Graduation and Course Registration: OSIPP Master’s Students”.
- When registering for courses offered by other graduate schools, please be aware of the above different registration period from OSIPP’s. Registration for those courses is on a first-come-first-served basis.
- When registering for courses offered by other universities such as Kobe, Kyoto Universities or EUIJ subjects, you have to submit the form “Application for request to enroll in courses at other universities” to the OSIPP Educational Affairs Section. Please be aware of the different registration period from OSIPP’s.(See for KOAN bulltine board)
- If you take courses offered by other graduate schools and wish to count those credits toward OSIPP’s graduation requirements, please check “Registration for courses offered by other graduate schools and institutions” stated below and take necessary procedures.
- If you are unable to register for courses through KOAN, please apply to register by submitting the form “Course Registration” to the OSIPP Educational Affairs Section and your supervisor. (e.g., students of Program for Leading Graduate Schools who wish to register more than the maximum number of credits.)
- Some courses are provided both for Undergraduate and Master programs, or Master and Doctoral programs with different course codes for each program. Please be sure to register with the right code for your program.
- Regarding Research Seminar ‘Ⅰ’ and ‘Ⅱ’, only M2 students can register and earn credits. These are not compulsory courses. If you wish to earn credits with research guidance by your supervisor, please register with the course code of your supervisor. Without KOAN registration, you cannot earn the credits.
Maximum number of credits
The maximum number of credits a student may register per-year is 32 including Intensive Courses. To study effectively without excessive load, it is recommended for a student to register for no more than 16 credits per semester (Spring-Summer semester, Fall-Winter semester).
Students need to decide on a sub supervisor from the second year on Master’/Doctoral/ Course. Sub supervisors in principle will be a sub-chief examiner in a dissertation committee. They will also act as a substitute in the absence of a supervisor.
Please refer to the online Syllabus through KOAN.
Registration for courses offered by other graduate schools and institutions
If you take courses offered by other graduate schools and wish to count those credits toward Major Subjects of OSIPP Master’s degree requirements, you must follow the two steps below:
- Fill out the form of “Application for approval of credits form other graduate/undergraduate schools” and print out the syllabus of courses you wish to study. Then, you need to discuss with your supervisor why you wish to take the courses and obtain your supervisor’s approval.
- Submit the syllabus and the above completed form to the Educational Affairs Section by the deadline.
Submission via supervisor with electronic signature or stamp is also acceptable.
For more information, refer to the Course Handbook linked below:Course Handbook 2023.pdf (Coming Soon)
【Notes】Please consult with your supervisor about the necessity of counting those credits toward the OSIPP degree requirements. Those credits are approved as a part of the OSIPP’s degree requirements only after obtaining approval form the OSIPP Professors’ Meeting to be held in the following month of the registration period as well as approval from supervisors.
The following courses are not approved for counting credits toward the OSIPP’s degree requirements:
- Language courses
- Undergraduate Courses with similar objective and contents as OSIPP’s courses
Graduate Minor Programs & Graduate Program for Advanced Interdisciplinary StudiesFor information about Graduate Minor Programs & Graduate Program for Advanced Interdisciplinary Studies, please refer to the link below.
If you wish to change or cancel your courses registration, please take the following procedures during the following periods. *NO late application can be accepted.
- Cancellation of registration for term/semester courses that are offered in Spring and Summer Terms or full-year courses：
From April 24 (9:30) to April 28 (until 16:30)
- Change or additions of registration for Summer-term courses：
From June 13 (9:30) to June 19 (until 16:30)
- Cancellation of registration for Summer-term courses：
From June 27 (9:30) to July 3 (until 16:30)
The Necessary Process:
- Obtain your supervisor’s approval, following consultation about your preferred change (addition, cancellation, or withdrawal).
- Make a change (addition, cancellation, or withdrawal) through KOAN.
- Fill in the changed ‘Course RegistrationChange Check Sheet’, send your supervisor, and submit it to OSIPP Educational Affairs Section through your supervisor via email within the deadlines above.