2021 Academic Calendar
The academic year in Japan begins on April 1 and ends on March 31 of the following year, and is divided into four terms; Spring Term, Summer Term, Fall Term, and Winter Term. Below is the schedule for the 2021-22 academic year (Year 2021).
The Spring Term is from April 1 to mid-June 2021.
- April 7 – 8
- April 9
- May 1
University Foundation Day
The Summer Term is from mid-June to September 30, 2021.
- August 10
Last day of classes for Summer Term
- August 11 – September 30
The Fall Term is from October 1 to early December 2021.
- October 1
- December 28 –January 3
The Winter Term is from late November to March 31, 2022.
- February 12
Last day of classes for Winter term
The specific starting and ending dates for all of the terms have a certain degree of flexibility to accommodate the needs of students and their particular study calendars. Students can consult with lecturers directly for information on this flexibility.
Read more about the full School Calendar on the main Osaka University website
This is an announcement regarding registration for the Spring and Summer Terms of 2021.
Please register your course on the web using the Student Affairs Information System KOAN and submit the Course Registration Check Sheet to the Educational Affairs Section.
Course Registration for Spring-Summer 2021
Steps for course registration through KOAN
- After consulting with your supervisor/sub-supervisor, please complete course registration through KOAN（https://koan.osaka-u.ac.jp） regarding Spring and Summer Terms/Semester courses and full-year courses.
*The KOAN system is available outside of the campus, too.
- Please submit the completed ‘Course Registration Check Sheet’ to the OSIPP Educational Affairs Section through your supervisor via email by April 22. Students who have decided not to take any courses are also required to submit the Sheet.
Maximum number of credits
The maximum number of credits a student may register per-year is 32 including Intensive Courses. To study effectively without excessive load, it is recommended for a student to register for no more than 16 credits per semester (Spring-Summer semester, Fall-Winter semester).
Students need to decide on a sub supervisor from the second year on Master’/Doctoral/ Course. Sub supervisors in principle will be a sub-chief examiner in a dissertation committee. They will also act as a substitute in the absence of a supervisor.
Please refer to the online Syllabus through KOAN.
Registration for courses offered by other graduate schools and institutions
If you take courses offered by other graduate schools and wish to count those credits toward OSIPP Master’s degree requirements, you must follow the two steps below:
- Fill out the form of “Application for approval of credits form other graduate/undergraduate schools” and print out the syllabus of courses you wish to study. Then, you need to discuss with your supervisor why you wish to take the courses and obtain your supervisor’s approval.
- Submit the syllabus and the above completed form to the Educational Affairs Section by the deadline.
For more information, refer to the Course Handbook linked below:Course Handbook 2020.pdf
【Notes】Please consult with your supervisor about the necessity of counting those credits toward the OSIPP degree requirements. Those credits are approved as a part of the OSIPP’s degree requirements only after obtaining approval form the OSIPP Professors’ Meeting to be held in the following month of the registration period as well as approval from supervisors.
The following courses are not approved for counting credits toward the OSIPP’s degree requirements:
- Language courses
- Undergraduate Courses with similar objective and contents as OSIPP’s courses
Graduate Minor Programs & Graduate Program for Advanced Interdisciplinary StudiesFor information about Graduate Minor Programs & Graduate Program for Advanced Interdisciplinary Studies, please refer to the link below.