2020 Academic Calendar
The academic year in Japan begins on April 1 and ends on March 31 of the following year, and is divided into four terms; Spring Term, Summer Term, Fall Term, and Winter Term. Below is the schedule for the 2020-21 academic year (Year 2020).
The Spring Term is from April 1 to mid-June 2020.
- April 7 – 8
- April 9
- May 1
University Foundation Day
The Summer Term is from mid-June to September 30, 2020.
- August 7
Last day of classes for Summer Term
- August 8 – September 30
The Fall Term is from October 1 to early December 2020.
- October 1
- December 28 –January 3
The Winter Term is from late November to March 31, 2021.
- February 13
Last day of classes for Winter term
The specific starting and ending dates for all of the terms have a certain degree of flexibility to accommodate the needs of students and their particular study calendars. Students can consult with lecturers directly for information on this flexibility.
Read more about the full School Calendar on the main Osaka University website
This is an announcement regarding registration for the Fall and Winter Terms of 2020.
Please register your course on the web using the Student Affairs Information System KOAN and submit the registration confirmation form to the Educational Affairs Section.
Fall-Winter 2020 Registration (OSIPP)
Steps for course registering through KOAN
- Login to KOAN（https://koan.osaka-u.ac.jp）and register for the courses you wish to study. The applicable subjects are term/semester courses that are offered in Fall and Winter Terms.
*The KOAN system is available outside of the campus, too.
You will be able to output a PDF of your ‘Course Registration Confirmation Timetable’ through KOAN. Please print out three copies of the document. One is for you and the others are for the OSIPP Educational Affairs Section and your supervisor.
- After that, you must put the total number of registered credits and the current research theme on the ‘Course Registration Confirmation Timetable’.
You must obtain an approval stamp from your main supervisor on the ‘Course Registration Confirmation Timetable’. M2, D2, and D3 students are also required to have an approval stamp from your sub supervisor.*Please refer to the ‘(2)Example’ for how to complete the form (PDF).
- Please submit the completed ‘Course Registration Confirmation Timetable’ to the OSIPP Educational Affairs Section by October 14. Students who have decided not to take any courses are also required to submit the ‘Course Registration Confirmation Timetable’ to the OSIPP Educational Affairs Section. *For guidance on using KOAN, refer to the ‘(1)KOAN Manual’.
Registration for courses offered by other graduate schools and institutions
If you take courses offered by other graduate schools and wish to count those credits toward OSIPP Master’s degree requirements, you must follow the two steps below:
- Fill out the form of “Application for approval of credits form other graduate/undergraduate schools” and print out the syllabus of courses you wish to study. Then, you need to discuss with your supervisor why you wish to take the courses and obtain your supervisor’s approval.
- Submit the syllabus and the above completed form to the Educational Affairs Section by the deadline.
For more information, refer to the Course Handbook linked below:
【Notes】Please consult with your supervisor about the necessity of counting those credits toward the OSIPP degree requirements. Those credits are approved as a part of the OSIPP’s degree requirements only after obtaining approval form the OSIPP Professors’ Meeting to be held in the following month of the registration period as well as approval from supervisors.
The following courses are not approved for counting credits toward the OSIPP’s degree requirements:
- Language courses
- Undergraduate Courses with similar objective and contents as OSIPP’s courses
Maximum number of credits
The maximum number of credits a student may register per-year is 32 including Intensive Courses. To study effectively without excessive load, it is recommended for a student to register for no more than 16 credits per semester (Spring-Summer semester, Fall-Winter semester).
Graduate Minor Programs & Graduate Program for Advanced Interdisciplinary StudiesFor information about Graduate Minor Programs & Graduate Program for Advanced Interdisciplinary Studies, please refer to the link below.
Students need to decide on a sub supervisor from the second year on Master’/Doctoral/ Course. Sub supervisors in principle will be a sub-chief examiner in a dissertation committee. They will also act as a substitute in the absence of a supervisor.
Please refer to the online Syllabus through KOAN.
Change in course registration
If you wish to change or cancel your courses registration, please take the following procedures during the following periods. *NO late application can be accepted.
- Cancellation of registration for term/semester courses that are offered in Fall and Winter Terms: From October 15 (9:30) to October 21 (16:30)
- Change or additions of registration for Winter-term courses:
OSIPP Courses: from December 4 to December 10
Courses offered by other graduate schools: From December 2 (9:30) to December 8 (16:30)
- Cancellation of registration for Winter-term courses:
OSIPP Courses: From December 18 to December 24
Courses offered by other graduate schools: From December 16 (9:30) to December 22 (16:30)
The Necessary Process:
- Obtain your supervisor’s approval, following consultation about your preferred change (addition, cancellation, or withdrawal).
- Make a change (addition, cancellation, or withdrawal) through KOAN.
- Print out the changed ‘Course Registration Confirmation Table’, obtain your supervisor’s name stamp on it, and submit it to the OSIPP Educational Affairs Section.
When any change occurs in course information, we will inform you through the KOAN message board.
*As Classroom and class hours may be subject to change, please check the KOAN notice board regularly for up-to-date information.