2023 Academic Calendar
The academic year in Japan begins on April 1 and ends on March 31 of the following year, and is divided into four terms; Spring Term, Summer Term, Fall Term, and Winter Term. Below is the schedule for the 2023-24 year (Academic Year 2023).
The Spring Term is from April 1 to mid-June.
- April 5
- April 11
- May 1
University Foundation Day
The Summer Term is from mid-June to September 30.
- August 8
Last day of classes for Summer Term
- August 9 – September 30
The Fall Term is from October 1 to early December.
- October 2
- December 26 –January 3
The Winter Term is from late November to March 31.
- February 18
Last day of classes for Winter term
The specific starting and ending dates for all of the terms have a certain degree of flexibility to accommodate the needs of students and their particular study calendars. Students can consult with lecturers directly for information on this flexibility.
Read more about the full School Calendar on the main Osaka University website
This is an announcement regarding registration for the Spring and Summer Terms of 2023.
Please register your course on the web using the Student Affairs Information System KOAN and submit the Course Registration Check Sheet to the Educational Affairs Section through your supervisor by April 23.
*Please also send “Course Registration Confirmation Table” to your supervisor, too. See for KOAN Manual (p.7)
Course Registration for Spring and Summer 2023
Steps for course registration through KOAN
- After consulting with your supervisor/sub-supervisor, please complete course registration through KOAN（https://koan.osaka-u.ac.jp） regarding Fall and Winter Terms/Semester courses.
*The KOAN system is available outside of the campus, too.
- Please submit the completed ‘Course Registration Check Sheet’ to the OSIPP Educational Affairs Section through your supervisor via email by April 23 through your supervisor. Students who have decided not to take any courses are also required to submit the Sheet.
Maximum number of credits
The maximum number of credits a student may register per-year is 32 including Intensive Courses. To study effectively without excessive load, it is recommended for a student to register for no more than 16 credits per semester (Spring-Summer semester, Fall-Winter semester).
Students need to decide on a sub supervisor from the second year on Master’/Doctoral/ Course. Sub supervisors in principle will be a sub-chief examiner in a dissertation committee. They will also act as a substitute in the absence of a supervisor.
Please refer to the online Syllabus through KOAN.
Registration for courses offered by other graduate schools and institutions
If you take courses offered by other graduate schools and wish to count those credits toward Major Subjects of OSIPP Master’s degree requirements, you must follow the two steps below:
- Fill out the form of “Application for approval of credits form other graduate/undergraduate schools” and print out the syllabus of courses you wish to study. Then, you need to discuss with your supervisor why you wish to take the courses and obtain your supervisor’s approval.
- Submit the syllabus and the above completed form to the Educational Affairs Section by the deadline.
Submission via supervisor with electronic signature or stamp is also acceptable.
For more information, refer to the Course Handbook linked below:Course Handbook 2023.pdf (Coming Soon)
【Notes】Please consult with your supervisor about the necessity of counting those credits toward the OSIPP degree requirements. Those credits are approved as a part of the OSIPP’s degree requirements only after obtaining approval form the OSIPP Professors’ Meeting to be held in the following month of the registration period as well as approval from supervisors.
The following courses are not approved for counting credits toward the OSIPP’s degree requirements:
- Language courses
- Undergraduate Courses with similar objective and contents as OSIPP’s courses
Graduate Minor Programs & Graduate Program for Advanced Interdisciplinary StudiesFor information about Graduate Minor Programs & Graduate Program for Advanced Interdisciplinary Studies, please refer to the link below.