Applying to OSIPP as a Research Student (Kenkyusei)

Applying to OSIPP as a Research Student (Kenkyusei)

Applicants must meet one of the following requirements.

(1) Applicants who have graduated (earned a Bachelor's degree)  or expect to graduate from a university (earn a Bachelor's degree) before the date of enrollment.

(2) Applicants must have been recognized by OSIPP as possessing academic abilities equal or superior to those of university graduates through an individual entrance screening.

※Applicants who are fulfilling the application requirement (2) must undergo ‘Screening of Qualification for Application’ prior to application. Please mention that you are applying for the screening when you send us an email described below to obtain approval from a supervisor.

Applicants must obtain approval from a supervisor at OSIPP prior to application. In order to get approval, you are required to provide us with the documents and information listed below by email to OSIPP Kyomu kakari during the following period.(

-       For Enrollment in April 2018: From January 4, 2018 to January 31, 2018

(Applicants who live abroad: From November 1, 2017 to November 30, 2017)

-       For Enrollment in October 2018: From July 2, 2018 to July 31, 2018

(Applicants who live abroad: From May 7, 2018 to May 31, 2018)

Applicants will be informed from Kyomu kakari whether the approval is given or not.

①Student Information sheet (designated form [pdf] [word])

②Research Plan (Research Plan should be typed in A4 size paper.About 2,000 characters in Japanese)

③A copy of Academic Transcript(s) and University Graduation Certificate(s), or Certificate of Expected Graduation

④Name(s) of Academic Supervisor(s)

Please choose up to two supervisors from our website (, and write the name(s) in the email text.

Please make clear the first choice and the second choice.

⑤Method of support to meet the expenses while in Japan(designated form)(Only for foreigners [pdf] [word])

Please submit the evidential documents as well.

(Ex. Certification of Deposit / Annual income)

⑥A copy of Japanese-Language Proficiency Test Certificate (Optional)

⑦A copy of Certificate of Residence (“Juminhyo no Utsushi” issued by city)

⑧A copy of proof thatyou engage in activity that permitted under your status of residence (Only for foreigners who are residing in Japan at the time of application)

(Ex. Student Registration Certificate of Japanese-language school)

Application Guide for Research Students in 2018(written in Japanese)

Back to Pagetop